Friday, September 11, 2009

I'm so glad to see you, whoever you are.

Leola was overjoyed to see us, but didn't have any idea who we were. She knew our names and knew she knew us from somewhere in her life, but little else. We didn't prompt her and kept the conversation light. She didn't remember that Jon had been there a few days ago, didn't remember she had lived with us, but she did ask if we were married! She dwelled on the marriage topic and kept coming back to it. She has lost so much language and ability to construct sentences that it was hard to follow her at times, but she was positive, cheerful and giddy like a child. Out of curiosity, Jon never gave her the information that he is her son. The care giver hadn't known we were coming, so couldn't have prepped her. She never knew him as her son during the 30 minute visit. She talked about going home , her mother and father who would be coming to get her.

She said, "I don't think I was married much. I think I had a husband, but I don't remember." She turns to Jon, "I didn't marry you did I?" He laughs and shakes his head.

Later, after asking for the 3rd time how long we'd been married, she said to me, "You got a good one, but I had him first."

Is this when I get all Bill Clinton on her and say, "It depends on what the meaning of "had" is"?

All I say is, "Yes, I've got a good one."

I couldn't help asking her if she had children. She thinks for a minute and says, "Yes, I think I had a boy and a girl, but I don't remember. I don't know where they are now. Oh, I don't remember much of anything anymore."

When we are in the car driving home I quietly say, "I'm sorry."

He says, "It's easier this way. I'd rather she not know me than saying 'Jon, get me the hell out of here!' This way, she just keeps thinking she's going to be going home soon, just like she did when she lived with us. It doesn't seem to matter where she is. We know she was happy to see us and she's well cared for.

And we both know we couldn't give her that care. It's OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment