Sunday, August 23, 2009

Boyfriends

"I hear you have a boyfriend." Jon says to me the other night. "Mom said you have a boyfriend who comes over. " He's teasing me of course, but she did say it.

If I didn't know better I'd think she was saying this on purpose. She has already told Jon she doesn't like it that he's married to me because she wants to marry him, which has completely creeped him out. The subject comes up again at dinner.

"What's your boyfriend's name?" she asks me.

I point to Jon. "That's him. I'm married to Jon."

"No, I mean that other guy who comes over."

Jon changes the subject. "Do you have a boyfriend?" he asks her.

"I've had lots of boyfriends. Boys always like me, but I never wanted to marry any of them. I'm glad I never got married." she declares.

"Really." say Jon. "Did you never have children, then?"

An odd, confused look crosses her face. "No. I mean yes. I did have 2 kids, so I guess I must have been married. I wonder where they are now?"

"I'm one of them. I'm Jon." he says.

"You are? Oh, yes of course you are." she says, but looks dubious.

No comments:

Post a Comment