Friday, August 14, 2009

Birthdays part 2

I went over to Bend on Wednesday in order to be with Whitney on her birthday. Upon my arrival, we walked to the farmer's market with her friend, Melissa and her 7 month old baby, Selah, to shop for our dinner. In the four years Whitney and Micah have lived in Bend, we have spent many good times with their friends, Melissa and Sean, including Thanksgiving, Christmas, Melissa's baby shower and now, Whitney's birthday. The market was bustling and I was pleased to see a crowd around the Sparrow's booth. Business has been better than ever for the Sparrow and the new Bread LaVoy, their bread operation, but Whitney and Micah are working more than ever.

Whitney turned 27 on Wednesday. As I watched her hold and play with Selah, I couldn't help remembering when she was 7 months old and I was a young woman. Unexplained tears sprang to my eyes and I had to briefly excuse myself before anyone noticed. I'm teary again even as I write this. What a glorious and complex relationship it is between a mother and child. As Jon struggles to understand his mother's decline and her dependence on him, I wonder if it will happen to me with my daughter or son.

No comments:

Post a Comment