Thursday, August 20, 2009

Dreamland

Yesterday late in the afternoon after returning from the studio, I laid down on my bed to rest for a few minutes. Jon had left to go to his cycle class. I was in that place between sleep and wakefulness when I felt an odd unease. I opened my eyes to see Leola standing over me peering down into my face. "Ahhh!" I jumped. She giggled as though this were very funny.

"I didn't mean to wake you up. I just wondered what you were doing?" she said still giggling that irritating little girl laugh that seems to say, "Aren't I just the cutest thing?"

"I was taking a nap."

"I wondered where Jon's mother was," she asks.

"You are Jon's mother and he went to the gym. He'll be back a little later. I'll come downstairs in a few minutes," I said sitting up.

"Well, I know, but where are all the other people?" she asks.

"What people? Only three of us live here, you me and -"

She interrupts, "Well, I know, but I need to get my car from the service station. I can't believe I was so stupid to let that man talk me into leaving it there. Can I talk you into giving me a ride over there? It's just over that way (she's pointing), then you turn and around the corner... I have to get my car back so I can go home."

"Leola, go downstairs and let me wake up. I'll be downstairs in a minute to start making dinner. The we'll talk about your car."

"Oh, Okay. I'll let you sleep." she shuffles down the stairs.

Unfortunately, I wasn't dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment