Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Move

We moved her to foster care. It was surprisingly easy. Not much to take - a dresser, a bookshelf, a chair, a nightstand, the coffee table with tiles she made. The furniture, except for the book shelf, we moved last weekend and she didn't even notice it was gone. The chair came from the storage locker.

We arranged for Leola's cousin's daughter, Deila, to take her out for the morning while we packed some of her clothes, personal items, knick-knacks and pictures and moved it all into her new room in the house with the Romanian family in the Multnomah Village neighborhood of Portland - about a 20 minute drive from our house. The house is beautiful and the family friendly, warm and wonderful. Jon and I spent a couple of hours hanging her clothes and putting them in drawers, putting up pictures and arranging her stuff to make the room as cozy as possible. Deila brought her to her new home from the morning's outing, which included lunch and a trip to the hair dresser. Jon was waiting for them. I had returned home to pick up a few more things, but was delayed by traffic due to the closure of I405, so I wasn't present when Deila brought her in and the news about her new home was presented to her. Jon said she initially was fine with it but when she saw her room she said, "You tricked me!"

I arrived with a couple of boxes of her things which I brought into the room where the 3 of them were pleasantly chatting. I could tell Leola was wound up form her day out with Deila and was a little hyper. As I unpacked her hat boxes and the lamp, she asked me, "Did you use my car to bring this here?" Uh, no. "Well where is my car?" It was easy enough for Jon to distract her onto another subject.

Deila left first. Jon and I stayed for a while chatting with the family and Leola. Then I left. Jon's burden was huge. He said his mother talked to him rationally saying, "I understand why you did this." Maybe she did. Who knows. Ironically, the day before we moved her, she told us that it was time for her to go. She said, "I've been here long enough." Of course, she meant she wanted to go home, where ever that is, but it sounded to us like she was ready to move out of our house. Be careful what you wish for.

No comments:

Post a Comment