Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Help!!!

Jon is making things so much harder than they have to be. Tonight he kept trying to reason with Leola. I could see her anxiety increasing as he was talking to her. She must have asked him to make a call to her house, I didn't hear the conversation exactly. I heard her talking to someone on the phone, presumably he called NW Place, where she lived the last 5 years. I admonished him saying, "Why do you keep doing this? It just makes her worse." Next thing I know he's dressing to get ready for a bike ride. Escaping. Fine. Leave me here with her again.

Upstairs, I returned a phone call to my friend, Debra. Next thing I know she's up in the bedroom standing next to me and looking for something. She realizes I'm on the phone and goes back downstairs, but is right back up again and is heading for my closet. I ask Debra to hold on and ask Leola what she looking for. "My clothes are in here," she replies. "I need to get them to take home with me." I try to get her to go back downstairs, then quickly realize I need to end my phone call and attempt to get her oriented. I show her her room with all her things in it and she says, "Well, this is just some of my stuff. I don't know why it's here, but I'll hire someone to take it home tomorrow. The rest of my stuff is at home." She gets more agitated and argumentative. I give up and tell her I'm going to go read. I sit down with a book and quickly understand I'm in this for the long haul tonight. She wants the phone book and I get it for her. She wants a pencil and I get one. She forgets why she wanted the phone book, but she gets distracted by reading it. Whew. I go grab my laptop and start typing. Now, she is asking me where she should put the pencil because she doesn't need it. She's calming down.

We have had an iron outdoor table and chairs for 20 years. It is a good quality metal table, but in it's old age, it wobbles. For over a year we have had a couple of siding shakes stuck under one of the legs to keep it from wobbling. It works. Tonight during dinner, I noticed the table was wobbling and saw that the shakes were gone. Leola loves to sweep the deck and does a damned good job of it, but now she's done something with the shakes! Where will I find them? They could turn up anywhere. The first place I looked was in the red box. Not there. Jon and I looked around outside thinking she had thrown them off the side, but I thought this unlikely. Looked in the garage, the trash (no, she doesn't know where the trash is), the shed - nothing. Now as I sit in the living room typing away on this blog, I look up and notice a couple of wooden shakes on the table. There they are. At this point she has unwound herself and is reading letters from the red box again. I think I'm better at this than Jon is. But, she's not my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment