Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday morning, 7/20

Whitney left this afternoon. I always feel a mother's little twinge of fear/anxiety when my child leaves me to go out into the world. I don't feel it when I leave them-only when they leave me. It must have something to do with the driving thing.

Our evening last night was as fine as the earlier hours had been. Whitney put the chicken in the oven to roast while we went for a walk on the trails. She then cooked enchiladas with the chicken, greens I had from our CSA and the produce we bought at the farmer's market. Early in the day she had muddled some fresh basil and mint into vodka in anticipation of a summer martini later. It did not disappoint. We also shared a quick toke from a j she had brought. We were out on my bedroom deck with Leola just below us - silently sneaking it like kids. Wait a minute! She is my kid. Oh well. What can I say... it was really pleasant. The weather once again, was perfect - warm and glorious. Leola needed reminders about our identity, but we shared a meal to remember on the deck. Later, we watched "Bridget Jones Diary". Of course we both had seen it before, more than once, and naturally Leola said, "This is the craziest thing I've ever seen. I can't understand anything they are saying." But she seemed pretty interested in the sex scenes.

This morning was equally gorgeous (have I mentioned I love Portland in the summer?!). Whitney had a couple of business type errands to run so I decide to go with so we could have lunch together before she left for Bend. We have a housekeeper, Maria, who has worked for us for 10 years. She and I have watched our families change over the years - my children teens to adults, hers being born to school age. She usually comes every other Tuesday to clean our house, but in the summer, she often has a change of schedule so she sometimes comes on a different day and brings her children with her. She showed up this morning just as Whitney and I were leaving. I hesitated a little, wondering if I should leave After all, it isn't Maria's job to look after Leola. She has enough to deal with having to clean our house and having her children there with her. Jon had told me that Leola really enjoyed Maria's children last time they were here, so Whitney and I left thinking it would be fine.

About 11:45 I checked my cell phone and found a message from my home phone number. OK. It can't be from Leola. She can't operate the phone, much less know my cell phone number. I listened to the voice mail. It was Maria calling to tell me Leola had tried to leave (to go home) a couple of times. She explained she was calling from our phone because her cell phone had run out of batteries, but she thought I should know. She went on to say she had taken the key out of the front door so Leola was locked in and she had asked her kids to keep any eye on her. I got the message about an hour after Maria had called me since I never can hear my cell phone ring when it's in my purse. So now I'm really feeling guilty about leaving her there with Maria who's job ISN'T to care of an old woman with dementia. I called back not knowing if she would answer our phone, but she did. At that moment, Whitney and I were in line to get a sandwich at Bunk Sandwiches (my new favorite place to eat lunch) and I told Maria I would be back in 20 minutes. She replied that Leola was fine sitting out on the deck, her kids were watching her and she just wanted me to know what happened. Whitney and I ate our luscious sandwiches (I had the most perfect tuna melt with added anchovies) and went home. Leola was reading "If You Give A Moose a Muffin" to 4 yr. old Addy (Adabelle) while 11 yr. old Antonio was supervising the whole scenario. Alright. I feel badly I left with Whitney, but on the other hand, I didn't know Maria was coming today. Now I know I we can't leave her alone while Maria is there. It isn't her job.

No comments:

Post a Comment