Wednesday, July 29, 2009

This and That

The last few days of excessive triple digit heat has many of us cranky, but Leola is finally warm. Last year, we installed air conditioning, but have hardly ever needed to use it - until now. Air conditioning is a concept Leola does not understand since she is never too hot. It almost seems like a cruel joke on her. Previously, it was too cold for her outside and now it is too cold for her inside. As I write this, she is sitting outside on the deck in 104 degree heat - stockings on, but at least no wool sweater (she has one with her, just in case). We've been forcing her to drink liquids, but does she want a cold drink? No. She wants hot coffee!!

I was looking forward to eating the rest of a juicy, sweet melon from Hermiston, Oregon this morning. These babies are the Lexus of melons as far as I'm concerned. When I looked in the fridge, I couldn't find it, so I asked Jon, "Did you guys eat the rest of that cantalope at lunch yesterday?" He said they had each had some, but there was lots left. He looked at me knowingly and said, "Maybe you should look in the freezer." My beautiful melon was frozen solid. Supervision of meal clean up is now on our list.

Since it is way too hot to be in my studio today (old building, 3rd floor walk up with no AC), I offered to wash her sheets and towels and surprisingly, she agreed they needed it. However, this was one of those tests of my patience because she wanted to do it herself. OK I know I'm supposed to allow her to do as much as she can on her own, but just as with a small child, it is often easier to do it myself. "The Laundry Project" took most of the afternoon since she took the clean sheets out of the dryer and placed them back in the washer with the wet clean towels and rewashed them all. But that was before she put the soap in the dryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment